Recipe for Comfort
photography by Edana Isobel & words by Lauren Dundler
Within Comfort | 2015
“Like all magnificent things, it's very simple.”
― Natalie Babbitt
SERVES 1 (but can be shared with your most intimate loved ones)
- Warmth (clothing, a drink, blankets)
- Soft textiles (silk, mohair, linen, cashmere, cotton)
- Good food (chocolate, ice cream, soup, pasta, cheese, chocolate)
- A bed (preferably your own)
- Gentle stimulation (a book, music, dialogue with someone you love)
In no particular order, you should…
1. Prepare a drink. For cool weather, we recommend herbal or milky teas. On sultry days, a chilled glass of white wine or lemon infused water will suffice.
2. Take a bath or shower. Do not emerge until your skin becomes pruny, or the water begins to fail you.
3. Dress in your softest, most-loved lounging clothes. Or enjoy your own nakedness under the bed linen.
4. Read something. “A book is really like a lover. It arranges itself in your life in a way that is beautiful” – Maurice Sendak.
5. Play music that stirs your soul. We recommend instrumental jazz, or the dreamy tunes of bands like Fleet Foxes.
6. Crawl into bed. Allow it to engulf and embrace you.
7. Write a letter to someone you love. Let your admiration and affection for them consume you, until all you have in your body is warmth and tenderness.
8. Daydream. “A day dream is a meal at which images are eaten” – W. H. Auden.
9. Sleep/nap/close your eyes for a while.
1/ Helplessness Blues – Fleet Foxes
2/ Little Bird – Jassanova, Jose James
3/ Fire and Rain – Birdy
4/ U.F.O. – Coldplay
5/ In Another Time – Sade
6/ How Can You Swallow So Much Sleep – Bombay Bicycle Club
7/ Ragged Wood – Fleet Foxes
8/ A Case of You – James Blake
9/ The Tourist – Radiohead
10/ You and Me – Splendid