Overnight Quinoa Breakfast
recipe & photography by Zoë Rollings
“Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.”
― Mark Twain
Superfood meets superfood in this powerful porridge. Super easy to make and enables you to grab a quick and healthy breakfast every morning. Pronounced keen-wah, quinoa is a small seed that is treasured for its high amino acid profile, protein, and high levels of magnesium and iron. When teamed up with chia, the two create one of the most nutritious breakfasts. With this recipe, cook up a batch, then divide out and add an unlimited choice of toppings. Monday - Friday breakfast, sorted.
SUGGESTED TOPPING VARIATIONS
- Grated apple, honey and walnut
- Banana and 100% organic peanut butter
- Poached pear and dark chocolate
- Cinnamon and nutmeg, with black sesame, sunflower and pumpkin seeds
- Raspberry, blueberry, blackberry and redcurrant
1 cup white quinoa
3 cup water
3 cup whole milk
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup chia seeds
1/2 cup greek yogurt
1. Place the quinoa in a fine strainer and rinse well with fresh water for about 1 minute. In a saucepan, add the water and the quinoa and cook on a medium heat for 20 minutes until the quinoa has quadrupled in size and has become big and fluffy.
2. Take the saucepan off the heat, add the oats and chia seeds and mix together. Now add the milk and the yogurt, and keep stirring until it is well mixed with a light, creamy consistency. If necessary, add more milk or water, to avoid the mixture becoming stodgy.
3. Divide the mixture into 5 jars, adding different toppings, flavours, spices or fruits to each jar, then place in the fridge overnight. In the morning, stir well and serve with any extra nuts, honey, seeds or yogurt.